Thursday, November 30, 2006

Utah Jazz #1

For the first time since Karl Malone and John Stockton, I can honestly say with statistical evidence and no bias that the Utah Jazz are #1. At 15-4, the Jazz are first place in their division, first place in the Western Conference, and first place in the NBA. I wouldn't be as ecstatic if they were first place on the Eastern Conference. Bill Simmons of ESPN.com has an excellent article concerning the crappiness of the Eastern Conference, it's definitely worth a read. Did you know that 11 of the 15 teams in the East are at least two games below .500? Well, they are, and that is pathetic. This year, some people are calling the East the worst conference in sports history. I can't say that I disagree. Moving back to the Jazz, they have a team full of a bunch of "no names" that will never make good for themselves, yet they continue to win. I guess my #1 preseason prediction wasn't as far fetched as some people thought. I know how hard it is for the Jazz to earn respect, I have been a lifelong Jazz fan and can attest to that. Even tonight on TNT, Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith questioned if the Jazz are legitimate. Hello? You don't go 15-4 just by getting lucky. I guess Sir Charles still has a bitter taste in his mouth after Stockton hit that game winning shot at the buzzer of the 1997 Western Conference Finals right in his face! Check out that picture, Barkley got "posterized!"

No comments: